Courses Of Study
Coastal Christian High School is a college-preparatory school that offers two levels of study:
- Standard College Preparatory Level (Standard): This level of study is designed to provide the academic level of mastery to the general student population and to provide them with the necessary skills needed for admission into a two to four-year college setting. This level of study is designed for the academically average student in mind. The CCHS graduation requirement at this level meets and exceeds the minimum state requirement for completion.
- Honors/AP Level: This level of study is designed to provide a more academically rigorous level of study for students who are highly motivated learners (average to above average). This level of study is preferable to students who desire to pursue entrance into a more academically selective four-year college or university. This level of study does require a greater amount of outside preparation as well as refined independent study skills.
Prior to registration, lists of courses (by grade) are distributed to students and their parents for review and selection. The guidance director at CCHS is available to answer questions regarding class content and courses of study. At least five students must be registered for any elective or AP class to be offered. Honors Ensemble and all drama/dance classes require an audition.
CCHS uses the following grading scale for Standard College Preparatory, Honors, and Advanced Placement levels of study:
A = (90-100) B = (80-89) C = (70-79) D = (60-69) F = (59 and below)
Grade Point Average (GPA) Calculation
A grade point average is calculated by taking the sum of the number of points assigned to each letter grade and dividing the sum by the number of courses. In the fall of 2015, beginning with the Class of 2019, CCHS moved to the scale now approved by the NCDPI (North Carolina Dept. of Public Instruction). The following table shows the point scales used for courses completed before and after that change. Students older than the class of 2019 maintain the original point value for all courses taken throughout graduation.
Through 2014-15 Beginning in 2015-16 with the incoming Class of 2019
Letter Grade College Prep Honors AP Honors AP/Dual Enrollment
A 4.0 5.0 6.0 4.5 5.0
B 3.0 4.0 5.0 3.5 4.0
C 2.0 3.0 4.0 2.5 3.0
D 1.0 2.0 3.0 1.5 2.0
F 0 0 0 0 0
Coastal Christian High School requires a minimum of 26 credits to graduate. This graduation requirement exceeds the minimum credits as required by the North Carolina Department of Non-Public Education (NCDNPE).
College-Preparatory (Standard) requires 26 units that include:
- 4 units of English (English I-IV)
- 4 units of Math (Algebra I, geometry, Algebra II required, and any math beyond Algebra II)
- 3 units of History (World History, US History, and one other history course)
- 3 units of Science required; 4 recommended (one physical science, one biological science and one additional lab course—i.e. chemistry)
- 2 consecutive units of foreign language required; 3 recommended
- 10 electives (including the following: PE/Health, 2 units of Bible, and a Fine Art credit.)
Additional Graduation Requirements
- All seniors are required to take the SAT, ACT, or community college entrance exam by March of their senior year.
- All seniors must have reported the completion of a minimum of 25 hours of community service for every year in attendance at CCHS before graduation.